Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Picking house location

Yesterday morning I met Bob at the land and checked out where he thought the house should go. If you have seen the land, remember there was a big clearing as the driveway turned into the land (a large trailer was sitting in that spot). The suggested location is into the woods, just east of the clearing. it would be about 100 feet south of the property line on some flat ground just as the land starts to slope down to the SE. We would then clear trees around the house, and connect up to already-clear areas (including where he had his big tent set up).

I felt pretty good about that setup, but I guess I'm a bit nervous that I'm the only one who has seen it (Christina wasn't with me). So I'm trying to see if we could get one quick peek again tomorrow morning before we start clearing land. Still need to hear back from Bob. I know he wants to start clearing this week, and start digging out the foundation late next week. I guess he is out there already today getting the driveway up to snuff!

I snapped some pictures yesterday when I was out there in order to get some "before" pictures. Unless you've been to the land, its hard to get a feel for some of these shots, but I'll describe as best I can. Plus it was a very foggy/misty day so the pictures aren't that great.

View of driveway from main road. Pretty much the whole driveway is on an easement that borders the 40 acres in front of our property:

Driveway as it turns onto the land. This is approximately the NE corner of the property. You can see how it opens up at the end of the driveway. This is where the current turnaround and clearing are:

View of land from current turnaround. Current plan is to put the house into the wooded area beyond the clearing. Our permanent driveway would follow the right side (north side) of the turnaround:

Looking back at clearing/turnaround from the edge of the trees. House location is probably 50 feet behind me. Note the land on the SE side of the clearing (right edge of the picture) slopes down enough that I hope the kids (and adults) can do some sledding!

Here I am standing approximately where the south (rear) wall of the house would be, looking east back at the clearing/turnaround. As part of clearing trees for a backyard, we would connect up to the existing clearing to make plenty of lawn for Andrew to mow.

Standing at the same spot (proposed rear of house) except now looking north. the pink tape is approximate front (north) wall of house:

1 comment: